Total Pageviews

Sunday 19 February 2012

Garden Gnome and Pan

Although I work as a volunteer in the Findhorn Garden at Cluny ( see my previous post, Garden Gnome ) I have to confess to a certain scepticism regarding the common Findhorn belief about nature spirits, fairies and angels. I do however believe in a higher energy into which we sometimes come into contact with.
This week while working in the garden I had an interesting conversation with Nadia about the work of Robert Oglivie Crombie ( Roc ). She had been given something to read written by Roc by Brian Nobbs of Findhorn Pottery. John Willoner a friend of mine had mentioned Roc and his encounter with Pan in Edinburgh Botanical Gardens. At the time didn't think too much about it. I probably thought ' Oh yes! Another Findhorn story ' and forgot about it.

Also this week Pan ( the mythical Greek God born with Goat legs, feet and horns and a furry human upper body ) had featured in my thoughts via chapter seven of Wind in the Willows, The Waterboys songs ' The Pan within ' ' The Return of Pan ' Pink Floyds debut album ' Piper at the Gates of Dawn ' The latter being the title of that marvellous Wind in the Willows chapter. All this came together to make me curious so I looked up Pan and Roc on the Internet and came up with a fascinating account of Roc, Pan and even more fantastic things. Brian Nobbs had also been involved with all this and although the account was totally fantastic it had the ring of truth. Clearly Pan has a big influence, mythical or not, but how does a God leaving Olympus for Arcadia ( because other Gods laughed at him ) finish up appearing in Edinburgh?
Brian had a plausible explanation for the manifestation of energy into forms such as for example Elves, ( don't laugh ) which we could recognise as the only way evolved humans could see this energy at all.

Now while I have certainly been into contact with what for a better description I shall describe as higher energy I have never seen Pan, Elves, Angels or Fairies. I am obviously not a sufficiently evolved ( or mad ) human being to see more! I will however be keeping an open mind on all these things!

As a footnote I will say the Mike Scott/Waterboys songs about Pan make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and the Piper at the Gates of Dawn from Wind in the Willows is extraordinarily profound and moving.

By the way, the message from Pan to Roc, was that we should co create with nature in a sympathetic non destructive way. Pan of course, when not chasing Nymphs, was a God of nature.

As a further footnote to this blog post which was written on the 19th February I attended a small informal group meeting in the main sanctuary last night 26th February. The group was meeting to listen to a recording of ROC speaking to the Findhorn Foundation in the early seventies and had been organised by Nadia. Listening to ROC's beautiful and sane voice my perceptions of all this is undergoing a sea change. Another meeting has been arranged for next Sunday. Well worth attending.

With thanks to Nadia for her enthusiasm and energy.

Do comment on this post if you feel so inclined and do look all this up on Google. It is all very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plesae leave feedback and comments. It would be nice to know you visited. Thank you.